Monday, December 16, 2013
This was a little project for a friend of mine. Her daughter has peanut allergies and she wanted a pretty case for her Epipen.
I made two different styles (actually 3, but didn't get a picture of one of them). I also made a small label to identify the contents.
I used a computer printer fabric sheet for the label, backed it with interfacing and satin stitched around the edge. Then just trimmed any excess fabric close to the stitching. Because the ink isn't washable, I just basted it on to the case with large stitches. That way she can remove it if she ever does need to clean it. (Update: I just found out that they do make one that's washable.)
Have you ever used the printer fabric? I'm wondering how I could use the other 3+ sheets in the pack. :)
Monday, December 9, 2013
I also wanted more page markers than the 2 it came with. So this is what I came up with...
I used a cotton laminate by Amy Butler. The cover is a very simple design, unlined. I just measured from the edge of the front cover around the spine to the edge of the back, then added 7 inches (this left me 3.5 inches for each side to hem and fold to the inside). I also added 1" to the book's height for seam allowance. I sewed the pockets right sides together and then turned them out. Then stitched down the section between the pockets at the top and bottom.
I also cut 2 long thin strips of laminate to use as extra page markers. I glued them in between a folded piece of card stock 1" wide, and slipped it down behind the leather at the spine. I could have attached them directly to the laminate cover, too. But I'm not sure how they will hold up and if they get too frayed looking, I'd like to be able to remove and replace them.
I like it! Now I'm looking around to see what other books might need a pretty cover. :)
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
This past weekend I got together with a bunch of friends at the local library for a sewing/craft party. We had coffee and snacks and all brought projects we wanted to work on and fabric we wanted to trade or give away. One girl was teaching crochet techniques, another was hand sewing a doll, and several of us had our sewing machines and were finishing up half-started projects.
Here's what I accomplished that night; A little bunny wristlet and a few vintage fabric key chains.
I had cut most of the pieces for this little pouch years ago, but as with many projects, it got stuck in a drawer and forgotten. I love this vintage children's fabric (its a 1940's Puritan Print called "Mail Time") and have used many of the cute little scenes before. On this wristlet I used the bunny on the front and a strip with the bluebird on the back.
I also tried out some new key chain hardware. This was just another way to use up tiny scraps of vintage fabric that I can't throw away. I only needed about a 1.5 inch strip for these.
It was a fun and fairly productive evening. I wish I would have remembered to take some pictures while I was there, but apparently I felt the need to defend my title as "World's Worst Blogger". lol
Have a great week everyone!