Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Snap Wallets ~ A Very Easy Project


I thought I would end the year with a very easy project...Simple snap wallets or card holders.
If you don't sew or if you want one of the fun vintage prints above, they are available here on the website or on etsy.
I'm sure there are a dozen or more tutorials out there for these in one form or another, but just in case you needed one more to prove how easy they are, here it is. :)


First you'll need :
* 2 pieces of fabric (main fabric and lining) approx. 5"x10".

* 2 pieces of light weight fusible interfacing approx. 5"x10".
*No-sew snaps (I used pearl, but plain metal are fine, too)
*Snap set tool (Not necessary, but I recommend it for the pearl head snaps as they can crack if hit too hard)

Step 1 - Apply interfacing to your fabrics according to manufacturers directions.

Step 2 - Sew your main fabric to your lining, right sides together. Leave a small opening at one of the short ends. Clip corners. Careful not to snip your stitching!
Step 3 - Turn right side out through the small opening. Press and stitch along the one short end to close up the hole. Step 4 - Fold up about 3.5 inches and press. Make a centered mark where the bottom half of your snap will go.
Step 5 - Attach bottom snap according to directions on package. Then fold down the top flap, press, and then feel for the nub of the bottom snap. Place the prongs of the pearl head over that and set the top snap (use your set tool). This was the easiest way I found to have the snaps align perfectly.Step 6 - Starting at one of the folded ends, stitch along the edge. Backstitch when you reach the wallet opening for added strength. Continue up and around to the other side and your done.
Step 7 - Add your cash and cards. :) They're also nice for giving gift cards...adds a personal touch. Happy sewing!

22 comments:

Betty said...

I should have already know how to make one, but I didn't and I need a new wallet! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful New Year!!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

You're welcome! :)

You'll have fun. Its a great way to use up small pieces and scraps.
I could even make a patchwork one with all of those skinny little strips I have hanging around. LOL

kari and kijsa said...

A great year and blessings for a great new one as well!
Happy New Year,
kari & kijsa

willywagtail said...

Thankyou for this sew-easy tutorial! I will definitely be making some ove these. Cherrie

Abby and Stephanie said...

Thanks you very much! Love your green one with the pink rose buds. I'm in the mood for making some new things...perhaps get started on Christmas for next year...did I just say that? Happy New Year!

Marilyn in NM said...

Kimberly, these are just the cutest little wallets. I can think of several uses for them besides the obvious.
Thanks for stopping by. I had a great time knitting the hats for the grandbabies. And Toby definitely has been getting lots of love for saving his Momma!!!! He's a special little dog.
Marilyn

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Look! You made a wreath :)
Love these!

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Look! You made a wreath :)
Love these!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

:) Thanks! They do look pretty all together, don't they.

cupcake studio said...

What a great project! Just stumbled across your blog...it's really lovely! Happy new year!

Katherine said...

What a lovely project! Simple, sweet and a fabulous way to use pretty fabrics like you did. Thanks for sharing this tutorial, Kimberly.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh, those are so cool! Love the fabrics, too. Thanks for the instructions. That was sweet of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! These look fun and easy...gonna try some right now!
xoxo
Diane

Nanette Merrill said...

Holy cow. So cute. This is going in my list of great things to make for next Christmas.

Amanda Jean said...

oh, i love these!!! thanks so much for the tutorial!

Linda Focht said...

Sandra,
I love all your little snap wallets. I am going to have to give them a try.
Linda Focht

Gayla said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial! These are adorable. I can't wait to make one (or two or three!:) )

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Very cute!!!! Thanks for the tutorial.

Trisha said...

I just saw this, I love it! Thanks for teaching us how. I am making it today, I will link to you so people can see where I "stole" this idea!!! Your blog is awesome!

Jenny said...

Lovely designs, thanks for the tutorial.

Heather said...

I love making fabric wallet's too, love your fabric. I've not tried a snap yet. On my purses I love the magnetic snap but they are too big for the wallets. Thanks for the inspiration.

Heather
http://nightdreamer_371.bravejournal.com

Cleise said...

Ola
Vim conhecer o seu blog.
Gostei e já estou te seguindo.
Cleise Rejane