Thursday, May 2, 2013
Progress on the Sunroom and a Roll-Up Shade Hack
Projects move at a snails pace around here. I don't know how others do it...put their mind to something, start a house project, then finish it that same week. That never happens here.
Anyway, some progress, however little, has been made. First up I thought I'd show you a quick little sewing project of how I customized an Ikea Roll-up shade.
The shade is a plain white cotton twill called Emmie, and was 12.99. All I did was measure the space between the button holes. Then cut my pretty yellow floral fabric to size, adding a half inch seam allowance on all sides, turn back the 1/2 inch and press. Then pinned in place, sewed around the edges, and called the door done. Easy peasy.
Next I moved on to the bench. I found the linen bins at Target. Then made a long bench cushion in linen to match.
The 3 inch high density foam is crazy expensive and wasn't in the budget for this penny-saving make over, so I used a full size egg-crate mattress topper that I found on sale. I cut it into 3 long pieces and stacked them for my cushion. It doesn't lay as smooth as a single piece of hi-dens, but for a $50-$60 price difference, I'm ok with that.
I once again employed the nifty little trick at whipstitch for continuous bias tape to make my piping, and found a long 48" zipper in my stash for the back closure.
On the other side of the room I added some wall flowers to the brick . Not sure if I'll keep all of them up yet. I'm going to live with them for awhile and then decide if I need to edit.
Have a great week, everyone!