Sunday, February 21, 2010

Let's Sew a Zippered Pouch ~ A Tutorial

After hearing several comments from readers that they had never sewn in a zipper before or were intimidated by the thought of installing a zipper, I decided to put together a little tutorial.
I should preface this 'How-to" by saying that it may not be the only way or even the best way to do it. I'm mostly a self-taught, learn by trial and error, kind of sewist, so precede at your own risk. LOL

Go and gather up your materials (list below) and we'll do a fun project together. Go on...I'll wait...

What you'll need:
*2 pieces of outer fabric fused with interfacing and 2 pieces lining fabric all cut to the same size. (I think mine are 9.5" x 6.5", but this method will work with any size, even a small change purse.)
*A zipper (with nylon? teeth, not metal). (As you can see in the pictures, my zipper is longer than my fabric, which is not a problem. But, ideally you want the full length of the zipper, including the tails, to be at least as wide as your fabric.) Helpful tip: A zipper is sized by the length of the teeth, so figure that a 7"zipper is really 8-8.5"L including the tails. A 9" zipper is 10-10.5"L including the tails, and so on.
*Pins
*A zipper foot and regular foot for your machine

Ok, is everyone ready? Start by layering your first side: a piece of lining face up, zipper face up, and outer fabric face down. Line up top edges and pin.

Using your zipper foot, sew across the top. When you near the end before the zipper pull, stop with your needle down in the fabric. Lift the presser foot and open the zipper so the pull is out of your way. Lower the foot and continue sewing to the end.
Now, fold back the fabrics and press. Next, layer the second side. Lining fabric face up, zipper face up, outer fabric face down.Line up top edges and pin. This time the zipper pull will be in your way right off the bat, so go ahead and open it up a bit before you start sewing.Again, when you get to the pull, stop with the needle down in the fabric, close it back up and continue sewing to the end. Fold back and press. This is what your piece should look like.At this point put the regular foot back on your machine and decide if you want to add a loop tab or label or if you want to top stitch. Usually if I'm using quilt weight fabrics I don't top stitch, but with heavier barkcloth or decorator fabric I will.

Optional top stitching, loop, and label: To top stitch, sew through the top and lining fabrics. With heavier or bulky fabrics this helps to keep them out of the way of the zipper.If you add loop tab or label, be sure to sew them to the outer fabric only.

Now, very important step...open the zipper to an inch or so from the edge of the fabric.

Pin the 2 outer fabrics right sides together and the 2 lining fabrics right sides together. The teeth of the zipper will be pointing toward the lining.
Sew around all 4 edges, leaving a small opening in the bottom of the lining. I also backstitch over the zipper on each side for added strength.Now you can clip the corners and trim off any excess zipper if yours was longer, like mine.
Reach inside the lining opening and turn right side out. Sew up the opening in the lining. Press and TaDa!...you've made a zippered pouch. :-)See, wasn't that easy?

This project is also part of The Twice Remembered Cottage "Make Your Monday" link event. Click the link above to see all the fun things bloggers are making this week.

13 comments:

My Casa Bella said...

How exciting!! I don't have time right now, getting ready for meeting, but I am going to do this. How generous of you, can't wait to try it myself. Sad though, I make handbags but I've yet done a zipper :(
Hugs
Arlene

Maison Douce said...

As always, your tutorials are such a delight to follow... Thanks, Kimberly!!
Isabel

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

lovely tutorial, thanks! When i have the time i will love to give it a go, Such lovely clear instructions!

Laura said...

We are so excited to start this... Thank you!! :)

Abby and Stephanie said...

I'm one of the zipper phobia folks! THANK YOU!!!

Poppy said...

YAY! This is the first tutorial like this I have been able to understand! Thanks so much! I really feel confident that I can have a go at this!

Unknown said...

Great Tutorial! Nifty little bagtoo. I can't wait to see ya at the Vintage Alphabet get-together.

KitschKrafts said...

You make this look so easy. I am inspired to get into my summery fabrics and whip some of these up.

Thanks for sharing!
Erika

Darija said...

Thanks for putting this together. I made a wristlet pouch tonight and decided to go for it and use a zipper instead of velcro. It came out beautifully!

{kimmymade} said...

Ah Kim, you're so awesome for posting this! As soon as I have the time, in about 2 weeks, I will give this a try!

Molly said...

I just made this for a little gift! I had scoured the internet looking for the easiest, best little pouch tutorials and I went with yours. It paid off! It turned out so cute and it was so easy. I added a little charm zipper pull and tucked in a Target gift card and I think my friend will love it . Thanks for posting the tutorial.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone!
Tiny Homestead and Molly- So glad your wristlet and gift pouch turned out well!!! :-)

I hope its easy to follow and you have fun making your zip pouches.

Happy sewing!
Kimberly

Dallas said...

Thank you for the tutorial! I just made one for myself!