Friday, April 5, 2013

Floor Cushions


This week I made a couple of floor cushions with some of my favorite Anna Maria Horner fabrics.  My mom had saved the thick cushions from a sofa she was getting rid of and thought I might be able to use them...uh, yeah!  Foam padding is expensive!
One little hiccup in the process was that I ran out of piping.  I had bought the cream twill piping when it was on sale years ago, so I knew it wouldn't be easy finding a match. I couldn't find anything close ready-made, so I had to make my own.
I used the instructions here at Whipstitch to make the long continuous bias strip. 


From a half yard of fabric I was able to make over 10 yards of piping! A pretty good match, don't ya think?  :)

I made a zipper closure, which turned out to be much easier than I thought. And it makes for a neat and professional looking finish. (of course, it would've been better if I got it centered. lol)

I'm using them downstairs in the family room.

The lighting is terrible down there so the photos aren't that great, but you get the idea. :)



Well, that was my sewing for the week.  Its finally starting to warm up and feel like spring around here, so I'm heading out to play in the yard.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh, the cushions are just gorgeous, Kimberly! I love that fabric and the piping on the boxing. Looks so professional - should be proud! Clever you for repurposing the sofa cushions (isn't foam crazy expensive? lol).

Abby and Stephanie said...

Gorgeous. I love floor cushions and your piping is amazing. My daughter did a chair project at UC and had to buy a lot of foam. BIG part of her budget! I hope you have flower blooming and Hunny is soaking up some sun.

Georgia Peachez said...

Great cushions! They look so good in those fabrics. It's so hard to think about sewing right now, when my garden is calling. We are finally in the 70's here, about damn time!

Valerie Boersma said...

Wow, Kimberly! Just WOW!!

They are gorgeous!! They are stunning! They would look cute in MY house;)