Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fabric Folder Portfolio Tutorial

This week I made a couple more fabric portfolio folders, and so as promised, I'm here to show you how I made them. I decided not to use the iron-on vinyl with these, but I'm not totally giving up on the laminated cover idea, yet. ;-)
Let's get started...

1.) First you'll need 3 pieces of fabric all cut to 13"x10". (you can customize the size to your specific needs). And 2 pocket pieces 6.5"x5.5".2.) Iron a fusible interfacing to the 2 fabrics that will be your outer and lining fabrics and cut the third piece in half so you have 2 pieces 6.5"x10".

3.) Next, hem the top of the pocket pieces and baste them onto the fabric that you just cut in half. I also added a small strip of fabric to hold a writing pad.

4.) Now, fold back the inside edge of these two pieces about a half an inch. Press and stitch down.
5.) Position pocket pieces onto your lining fabric. (I left a 1" gap between the two sides.) And sew around all four sides.

6.) Next, with right sides together, pin your outer fabric to your lining and pocket fabric. Sew around all four sides leaving a small opening in the bottom.

7.) Clip corners and turn right side out through the opening.

8.) Press and top stitch around the sides being sure to close up the opening in the bottom.

9.) Then sew several rows of stitching down the center in that 1" gap area. 10.) Cut cardboard to size and slip between the pocket and lining.11.) Slip in a 5x8 writing pad and you're done! If anything isn't clear, just yell.

If you're not ready to try this project on your own, I'll have a few of these in pretty vintage fabrics on the website or in the Etsy shop this week.

Happy sewing!

This project is also part of The Twice Remembered Cottage "Make Your Monday" link event. Click the link above to see all the fun things bloggers are making this week.

28 comments:

KaHolly said...

You are such an angel for sharing this!! I am pretty excited about making a couple as gifts for my quilting buddies! But, I'll have to save it to a special place until I get more iron-on interfacing. I live pretty far from the iron-on interfacing store, so that may be days away!! (Bet between now and then I make them anyway!) Thanks again, ~karen

Browndirtcottage said...

WOW...WOW...thanks girl!! These really are THE cutest!! I have a reunion coming up in June..they want to have an auction of items...These would be perfect for me to make and take...yes!!
I appreciate the tutorial!!

Maison Douce said...

Kimberly, your tutorials are always such a joy to follow!!! You are truly so talented...!! Thanks again, it looks like a wonderful project!!
Isabel

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

what a lovely post! the portfolio is just darling, i love how you put the colours together. Thanks for sharing.

Vintage Rose Collection said...

WOW, love these!! What a great idea Kim!

Rosemary said...

Isn't that pretty!! Love the colors too!
Rosemary

Stacy said...

Your portfolios are beautiful! I love the fabric and the colors. So bright and cheerful. Very cute!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very pretty and you're always so generous with your tutorials! This is a terrific idea for gift giving but I'd want a couple for myself too.

My Casa Bella said...

How exciting, I can't wait to try one for myself. Thanks so much.
hugs

Life Is A Lark said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm definitely going to make a few of these for myself and for gifts. It would be easy to change up the size, too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this... yours are so beautiful! I can't wait to try it. I wonder how difficult it would bo to try to create a little pocket at the fold for a pen? Probably pretty dang hard, for me.

Kerri Kowal said...

I can't see some of the pictures. Could you re-post them?

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Thanks everyone! Glad you like this project. :-)
They will definitely make great gifts.

Kerri, the pictures are showing up for me. It may be a Blogger issue.
Try right-clicking on the red X on the pictures that aren't showing, and select "Show Picture". That should bring them up.

Kimberly

Nanette Merrill said...

It is wonderful. I love it. The fabrics you used are lovely. Such a great tutorial.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Absolutely stunning. You are making me wanna sew (and it's been AGEs since I have) Thanks for the beautiful inspiration (and tutorial too)! :o)

Beth H said...

great tutorial - thanks for sharing! i definitely want to try this. like grammardog, i'm thinking of adding a loop for a pen... any tips on that?

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Grammardog and Beth- Yes, a pen holder would be a perfect addition!

My original thought was to simply add a small loop of colored elastic to the center portion, but I didn't have any handy.

You could also easily sew a thin pocket to the fold area of lining fabric before attaching the pocket pieces.

Happy sewing!
Kimberly :-)

lej619 said...

what a great idea! love the fabric!!
another idea is from the looks of how you made it you could use it as a book cover also. yes?

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Oh yes, it could easily be adapted to be a book cover! Great idea!

Kimberly :-)

Katie said...

I love this..can't wait to try one :) I'll be following your blog!

Katie
moremisadventures.blogspot.com

Katrinshine said...

Very interesting blog!
Thank you for your comment on my blog! Your words are warm up my heart!
Buona Pasqua!

Jessica said...

Lovely! I esp love the aqua and pink as it has a refreshing feel to it. =) As always they look very sharp!! Great work!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

absolutely delightful! I love the fabrics! I hopped over from Twice Remembered and am so happy that I did. Please accept my invitation and drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. I have become a follower and I hope that you will do the same. until later

Anonymous said...

New to your blog via Twice Remembered. I will leave a short comment because when I am finished I plan on popping over to your shop and purchasing one of these! I like them that much. Beautiful.

KitschKrafts said...

This is a great tutorial and as usual your fabric choices are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

neighbourhood.gal said...

A friend of mine has asked me to make one of these for her. Thanks so much for your thorough tutorial!

StressTheSeams said...

This tutorial is AWESOME! So awesome, in fact, that I just HAD to make it! You inspired me, so I had to share you in my blog. Check it out here: http://stresstheseams.blogspot.com/2010/05/may-you-be-inspired-days-fabric.html

While you are there, check out my giveaway this month! And please, keep inspiring!
Cheers!

GI_Musician said...

I am going to make this for my father's birthday. What size is the notepad that you used? I think I have seen these, but the notepad I already have I think is a little bigger so I will have to change the measurements to fit. Thanks for the info!