Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mini Living Room Make-Over

I felt the need for a little change in the living room. Something a bit brighter and more fun for the summer months. With just a few yards of fabric and a couple of pictures I was able to do it for very little money.
The major elements of the room remain the same...neutral green walls and white and dark wood furniture pieces. The pillows all got new covers in bright bold prints from Anna Maria Horner's Drawing Room line and a vintage 1960's bedspread. A linen barrel lampshade from Target (24.99) was embellished with fabric flowers cut from another 60's bedspread.
Over the chair, a new picture from Kohl's (50% off) is hung alongside two sepia-toned photos with vintage fabric matting. I'll share an easy tutorial for that project in the next post. :)
The only change in the dining room is a new table runner.
So there it is, for around $80.00 I have a fresh look for the living room. :-)

14 comments:

Beneath the Eaves said...

Love your livingroom redo! Very cheery. Perfect choices with the fabric.
Debra

Georgia Peachez said...

Wow, how amazing what a few little changes can do! Great job!! xo, suzy

Melody said...

OOOHHH Kimberly,
What fab ideas! Love the retro vibes.

Sugar Bear said...

How wonderful! I love the fabric backed photos and the new pillows are wonderful. Do you have any suggestions on making a slip cover for a sofa for someone who doesn't have tons of sewing experience? I'm dying to try a simple one but I'm nervous...
Karla

Phyllis said...

Hey there,

Your living room make over is very pretty. It just proves that you don't need to spend a lot of $ on anything.

Note to previous post...I'm very sorry about the loss of Ubu. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.

Junie Moon said...

It all looks so wonderful. Soothing colors yet fresh and full of light. Fabulous!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Very summery!

shabbyfufu said...

Hi Kimberly....looks so fresh and modern! On another note, I scrolled down and so sorry to learn about the passing of your precious fur baby:-(
xo from here ~ Janet

Shabby Cottage Shops said...

Your living room is so fresh and cheery! Love all the bright colors.

I scrolled down and read your post about Ubu, we too, lost a cherished family member,Chessie, our Chesapeake Retriever, she also crossed "Rainbow Bridge".

Kind regards
Debra
Shabby Cottage Shops

KayEllen said...

First time to stop by:) Saw your pretty pics on flickr.

Have a great weekend!
Nice to meet you,

KayEllen

Hena Tayeb said...

love all the whites and bright colors, your living room looks great.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Such a beautiful room...and I love the splashy color!! So cheerful and warm, nice work!
Smiles, Karen

Gale said...

Just found your website and have started at the beginning to borrow/steal/use some of your ideas. LOVE the fabric matting. Your entire use of fabric and colors inspire me. I'm putting you on my favorite list

Gale said...

PS..I adore the pink stripey pillow on your couch....